We have a new exciting opportunity, not to be missed! At Plumpton College we are currently looking for a Cook to come and support our team based at our Netherfield Campus. The successful candidate will join on a full time, fixed term basis from 4th of September 2017 to 20th of December 2017. You will receive a competitive salary of £17,275 to £21,568 per annum (pro rata).
With over 3,000 students, excellent resources and a drive for continuous quality improvement, Plumpton College is actively seeking staff with the right values and attributes who want to make a difference and be part of this exciting phase of our development. We are looking to recruit professional and ambitious individuals to form an integral part of our growing Catering team.
More about the Cook role
We are looking to recruit an experienced Cook to support our Catering Manager in delivering an outstanding catering service at our centre at Netherfield near Battle. You will be responsible to provide a daily catering service for up 80-100 students, staff and visitors as well as manage the day to day activities of a small catering operation. The post holder will report direct to our Catering Manager at our main site at Plumpton College.
Using our own farm reared meats and local produce, this is an exciting time to join the College as we grow our catering business to adapt to the needs of our students but also our growth in our commercial activities in conferences and events.
Key responsibilities of our Cook
- Prepare, cook and serve meals to a high standard. Complying with cash handling procedures and preparing basic daily sales and cash returns
- As directed by the Catering Manager prepare menus appropriate to student needs and menus for other functions, taking into account the college goals in regard to promoting healthy eating and supporting local rural business by using local seasonal produce.
- Ensure that everyone using the catering facilities is treated politely and courteously, be they students, staff or guests.
- Ensure kitchen and wash-up areas are kept in a clean and hygienic condition. To keep up to date with food safety guidelines and legislation to ensure compliance.
- Ensure the cleaning schedules are followed and tasks are completed.
- Ensure that cleaning and food temperature records are kept.
- Ensure food wastage is kept to a minimum by cooking only the appropriate number of meals and carrying out strict portion control.
- Comply with food hygiene regulations by wearing the appropriate clean protective clothing while preparing and serving food, and to ensure all other members of staff do likewise.
- Ensure that all stock is stored appropriately and stock rotation procedures are followed. Ensure that all stock issued to other departments is recorded to enable stock records to be kept accurately
What we're looking for in our Cook
- Minimum of City & Guilds 701 & 702 or equivalent qualification or experience
- Minimum of 2 years in experience in a similar position
- Must hold a current food hygiene certificate
- Able to demonstrate great customer service skills
- A passion for good food
- Creative ability and flair using fresh produce
- Physically fit, able to undertake manual handling duties
- Full UK drivers licence
In return as our Cook, we can offer you…
As well as a competitive salary, you can also look forward to a great range of benefits including Pro-Rata 26 days holiday plus bank holidays, membership of the Local Government Pension Scheme, child care voucher scheme and free on-site parking.
This post is for a fixed term period from 4th September to 20th December 2017.
If you believe you have the right skills and are looking for your next career opportunity as the new Cook then please click ‘apply' today - don't miss out, we'd love to hear from you!
Closing date for applications: Monday 21st August 2017, 9am