Group Advisory and Policy - Vice President / Senior Manager
C o mpany Profile
Mo r g a n S ta n l e y i s a l e a d i ng g l o bal f i nan c i al s e rv i c e s f i r m p r o vi d i ng a w i de r a nge of i n v e s t m ent ban k i n g, s e c u r i t i e s , i n v e s t m ent m anage m ent and w e a l t h m anage m ent s e r vi c e s . T he F i r m 's e m p l o y e es s e r v e cl i e n ts w o rl d w i de i n c l u d i n g c o r po r at i on s , g o v e r n m ents and i n d i vi d u a l s f r o m m o r e than 1,2 0 0 o ff i c es i n 4 3 c o u nt r i e s .
As a market leader, the talent and passion of our people is critical to our success. Together, we share a common set of values rooted in integrity, excellence and strong team ethic. Morgan Stanley can provide a superior foundation for building a professional career - a place for people to learn, to achieve and grow. A philosophy that balances personal lifestyles, perspectives and needs is an important part of our culture.
The Finance Division reports to the Chief Financial Officer and consists of some 3,000 employees worldwide. Finance protects the Morgan Stanley franchise by serving as guardian of the Firm's books and records and by contributing to Firm wide risk management and risk reduction. This division maintains relationships with Morgan Stanley's various industry and government regulators and also serves as the conduit of financial information to the outside investment community. Finance plays a critical role as advisor to Morgan Stanley's various businesses and its senior management team.
The Accounting Advisory and Policy team within the International Disclosure Advisory and Policy function is an independent accounting advice and review function based in London, Glasgow, Hong Kong and Tokyo, and forms a significant component of the Global Advisory and Policy team based in New York. The team provide centralised expertise for technical accounting matters, monitors franchise risk arising through new business and new legal entities and performs reviews to ensure compliance with accounting policy under US GAAP globally and IFRS on a local basis.
The Accounting Advisory and Policy provides support in a number of areas, across various areas of the firm, including:
- Business Accounting Advisory
- Driving US and IFRS GAAP implementation Projects
Legal Entity Accounting Advisory
The team works very closely with a variety of stakeholders within the Finance Division and across the firm on a global basis, for example, product control, valuation risk, legal entity control, tax, legal, market risk and credit risk. Maintenance of strong relationships with the external auditors, other external advisors, the standard setters and industry bodies is also key to the success of the team.
An opportunity exists to join the Accounting Advisory and Policy team in London. The successful candidate will have exposure to all areas of the team's activities, but with primary responsibility as follows:
- Working as part of the Advisory and Policy team on critical US GAAP change implementation projects within EMEA and IFRS implementation globally, in particular implementation of IFRS and the equivalent US GAAP standard, and new GAAP in the areas of leasing and revenue recognition.
- Supporting development of the firm's accounting policies, including:
- Monitoring evolving GAAP and assessing the implications for Morgan Stanley
- Driving new GAAP implementation
- Developing and maintaining corporate accounting policies under IFRS primarily and also US GAAP
- Provision of technical training and development
- Working as part of the Advisory and Policy team, including:
o Business accounting advisory
o Providing accounting support and advice in respect of transactions and in resolving accounting issues, working with controllers to support business activity and reporting
o Supporting the Team's contributions to industry lobbying efforts, including through the formal and informal comment process on proposed new standards and participation in industry groups.
o Liaison with other locations to ensure consistent application of accounting interpretations on a global basis
o Working alongside other members of the team to consider legal entity and disclosure impacts
This role is based in London and will report into an ED within the Accounting Advisory and Policy Team.
Skills required (essential)
- Fully qualified accountant with experience in a technical accounting environment.
- Strong technical accounting knowledge, preferably across US GAAP and IFRS accounting requirements, together with a commitment to ongoing learning and development across all GAAPs and an understanding of the changing accounting landscape
- Understanding of the financial services industry, its products and the accounting issues to which they give rise, gained through experience of that industry
- Involvement in GAAP implementation projects and an understanding of the practical challenges presented by such implementations
- Strong guardianships skills and a commitment to maintain and enhance the control framework for Finance
- Excellent organisational skills to achieve objectives efficiently and maintain a high standard of client service.
- Evidence of working closely with other Finance functions and an ability to develop good working relationships both locally and in other locations
- Strong communication skills will be required in writing policy documentation, compliance reviews and the resolution of technical issues and communicating accounting policy changes to other areas of Finance and other relevant departments within the Firm.* #LI-EC1
Morgan Stanley is an equal opportunities employer. We work to provide a supportive and inclusive environment where all individuals can maximise their full potential. Our skilled and creative workforce is comprised of individuals drawn from a broad cross section of the global communities in which we operate and who reflect a variety of backgrounds, talents, perspectives and experiences. Our strong commitment to a culture of inclusion is evident through our constant focus on recruiting, developing and advancing individuals based on their skills and talents.